This is not a recap. It’s more of a reaction post.
I refuse to spit out stats and numbers on this one. You can look that up elsewhere. But, I will give props when props are due, and frankly the San Francisco 49ers deserve just that.
Some may think that I’m looking through “red and gold” glasses when sharing my opinions, because I’m a 49ers fan. But I like to think the opposite. I can be biased at times; however, I try to take that out of my writing.
In my last post, I wrote about how there shouldn’t be anymore surprises when it comes to this team. I stand corrected.
I’m not saying I doubted them, but I will be the first to admit that I was nervous about their Week 1 game against the Green Bay Packers. C’mon, I know plenty of you fans out there were on the same boat as me. We all know their schedule. It’s a tough one, and that game wasn’t a guaranteed win.
Well, they won.
If this team didn’t have your attention then, I’m sure they do now, and 49er fans should be sitting on cloud nine. If you’re still not a believer, let me remind you exactly why you should be.
Here are some of my fun Week 1 notes (in no particular order):
- The 49ers traveled to Lambeau Field and dominated. Lambeau Field! Do you know how difficult that is? Usually, the Packers are the only team that walks away with a W in their own territory.
- They beat the Packers! Not the Rams. Not the Jaguars. Not the Raiders. This is a top-ranking NFL team that talks the talk and walks the walk. Game of the week, son!
- Harbaugh is hard!
- David Akers shocked himself when he tied the record with his 63-yard field goal. The look on his face was priceless.
- NaVorro Bowman made his first career interception. Take that Aaron Rodgers!
- Patrick Willis can sit on the sideline & the defense is still relentless. The best in the league. And that’s not an exaggeration.
- They stopped the run and was on Rodgers all day. Did you see Joe Staley‘s bloody nose?
- It doesn’t matter if Vernon Davis couldn’t make that dunk after his touchdown. That’s why he plays in the NFL and not the NBA.
- Frank Gore can rush and moonwalk backwards at the same time. That man got skills!
- You can’t mess with that 49ers front seven.
- Randy Moss made sure that we didn’t forget him (but who would anyways?) with that 14-yard TD.
- And Michael Crabtree was cradling that ball like he was holding a newborn baby during those seven receptions.
- Alex Smith looked good! He didn’t fumble or throw an interception. He’s performing and getting better with each game. You can see his confidence grow, and why not? He has so many offensive weapons to choose from and a team that believes in him.
- If you think the 49ers starters are amazing, don’t neglect their backups.
- The replacement referees were horrible!! Late flags, stupid calls, but despite their awful judgment, the 49ers still won.
I could go on and on about this game, but it’s only the first one in the books. I must save my energy for the rest of the season.
Also, I can’t overlook the home-opener this Sunday against the Detroit Lions. This time around, I’m more excited than nervous and I can’t wait to get on that field!
If you think the 49ers did great in Lambeau, just remember that they perform even better at Candlestick.
Who’s got it better than us?
- Golden Nuggets: 49ers 30, Packers 22; Alex Smith Outplays Aaron Rodgers (ninersnation.com)
- 49ers stop Rodgers’ rally, beat Packers 30-22 (sacbee.com)
- Alex Smith’s Arm and David Akers’ Leg Propel San Francisco 49ers to Victory (bleacherreport.com)
- San Francisco 49ers beat Green Bay Packers 30-22 (mercurynews.com)
- 49ers’ defense stuffs Green Bay, 30-22 (sfgate.com)